Do you have visions of changing the world?
Do your goals have the power to make a positive difference to the way that people live?
Are you working towards these goals every single day?
When it comes to business and work, there are generally 3 different type of people:
- Those who hate their work and complain constantly.
- Those who don’t enjoy their work but see it as a way to pay the bills.
- Then you get a small percentage of people who absolutely love what they do.
So why then is there only a small percentage of people who love what they do?
When you look at entrepreneurs, businessmen and inventors like Steve Jobs, Elon Musk and Thomas Edison, you see people who absolutely love what they set out to achieve. These three innovators were able to look at their industries and completely revolutionise the status quo.
The extraordinary standards that these three men lived by, and the actions that they took to develop their ideas have changed the way we live forever.
Steve Jobs was an innovator who revolutionised the tech industry by creating super slick products that were way beyond anything the competition was creating. It all started on April 1st 1976 when Jobs, along with Steve Wozniak, created Apple Inc. He started by creating Apple’s 1st generation of personal computers, before transforming the way we listen to music when he brought to life the IPod. Later and perhaps his greatest and most influential invention… the IPhone.
Thomas Edison was an American innovator who invented the phonograph, the motion picture, and the electric lightbulb. One of Edison’s first major visions was to take over J.D Rockefeller’s lighting empire by installing the electric lightbulb which was sold as a new, safer and more practical option to J.D Rockefeller’s more temperamental kerosene lamps.
Elon Musk in the eyes of many is even more impressive than both Edison and Jobs. His level of thinking is on another planet… Literally. When you listen to him talk about his vision, goals and work ethic, you cannot help but be inspired. Elon is the man who pioneered the e-commerce industry when he helped Co-create Paypal. He is the CEO Telsa Motors which is in my opinion is the most innovative car company the world has ever seen. He is also the man behind SpaceX, where his mission is to inhabit Mars!
So how can you make a difference?
Now I am not saying you need to be Steve Jobs, Elon Musk or Thomas Edison to be able to make a difference to the way people live. Nor am I saying that the only way to do it is through technology. Every one of us has the power to make a difference in one way or another.
How you can make a difference and love what you do?
- Define your Mission – Make it your mission to help society, there are various ways to do this; it could mean volunteering at a charity shop, It could mean setting up a social enterprise or a limited company where your goal is to help feed the homeless, or it could even mean changing your career to be a Personal Trainer.
- Surround yourself with people who inspire you – Jim Rohn said; “You are the average of the five people you spend most of your time with”. If you have visions of helping the homeless, you don’t want to be hanging around with the guy who mocks them when he walks past them in the street. If you want to send people to space, study people like Richard Branson and Elon Musk and do everything you can to work with them. If you want to set up a peer2peer lending platform that specialises in funding humanitarian projects, then spend time with the leaders in this field. You want to find the key people of influence and study how they operate and learn from their experience.
- Commit to make a difference with everything you do – This should be the cornerstone of your strategy; every decision you make should be aligned with your mission. If your goal is to reduce pollution, don’t buy a Bugatti. If you are a personal trainer and your client’s goal is to build muscle, make sure you calculate their macronutrients accordingly and develop a training plan which will help them pack on the muscle they desire.
- Enjoy the Process – When you have a passion for what you do, it is easy to enjoy the process. That coupled with actually helping someone to achieve a goal is an incredibly rewarding experience. It is often the journey and not the destination which empowers us the most.
Share your experiences – Have you turned your life around? Maybe you were once in prison, homeless or simply lacked the motivation it took to succeed? I have met many people who have been able to turn adversity in to a triumph. These people who have been through such turbulence in their lives; are often the best mentors.
Article by Liam Stacey.